Reviews for the as-of-today released SoulCalibur V are being published, and so far most reviewers agree that it’s a solid release even though they don’t consider it a 9/10 or 10/10 title. Interestingly, the three reviews we highlight all recommend purchasing the game, and Gamespot and IGN each give it an identical 7.5/10 score.
– Ezio works very well as a crossover character
– The graphics are beautiful as usual
– Too many loading screens are a “buzz-kill”
– Bottom line: “You should play this game”
– The Critical Edge system feels a lot like the Ultra Combo system from Street Fighter, and is easy to execute
– Story Mode is “laughable”
– The Character Creation system is still a lot of fun
– Score: 7.5
– The game needs more/better tutorials
– Too many of the old characters are gone
– Online play is “smooth”
– Score: 7.5
Even though Gamespot says online play is “smooth,” I’m not sure that will still be the case as more people pick up SC V and make heavier demand on the servers. The game looks to be a good experience for diehard fans of the series, but I’m going to hold off on an immediate purchase. What about you? Have you played SoulCalibur V yet? Are you going to buy it, wait for a price drop, or pass completely? Discuss it in our forums or in the comments below!