Fans of the Gears of War series have been getting a good bit of downloadable content so far, especially for owners of the Season Pass. Epic Games has just announced a brand new list of maps and features coming to the title in January, and we don’t think you’ll want to miss out on this one.
The Fenix Rising map pack will go live on January 17th, 2012 and run gamers 800 Microsoft Points. The maps in this downloadable content will be able to be used in Versus, Beast, & Horde mode. Oh, is that not enough? You’ll also receive four new multiplayer skins to use as well.
The Fenix Rising map pack also includes a new feature entitled, “Re-Up”. For players of the Call of Duty franchise, you can equate this to being very similar to the “Prestige” mode featured in the series. Gamers who reach the multiplayer rank of 100 in multiplayer will be able to reset their level, but all other progression is unaffected. By doing a “Re-Up”, you’ll receive a new rank icon color and an exclusive weapon skin.
- First “Re-Up“: red rank icon & “Re-Up” plasma skin
- Second “Re-Up”: green rank icon & “Re-Up” Omen skin
- Third “Re-Up”: gold rank icon & “Re-Up” electric skin
Below, we’ve also listed the official maps set to be included in the Fenix Rising map pack:
- Academy –The lineage of the Fenix family can be traced back along a distinguished line of military officers. Officer training at the Oracle Academy was simply the expected path for Marcus, and he had visited the grounds many times in expectation that he would walk the same path as his ancestors. But it was not to be, and Marcus broke with tradition to be with his best friends Dom and Carlos. Like any number of fine Seran traditions, the Academy is now lost to the invasion of the Locust Horde.
- Anvil – The fortress of Anvegad was called Anvil Gate because its impenetrable walls were forged in the fires of war. Huge cannons sat atop battlements that guarded sprawling walls running the line of the UIR borders. Marcus went there to find Hoffman, and they both thought that Anvil Gate would offer protection from the incoming forces of Locust and Lambent. They were wrong, and little remains other than the ruined shell of a once mighty fortress.
- Depths – The excessive opulence of Azura defied all normal reasoning. But Adam Fenix could see the cracks in the veneer of splendor from the moment he arrived at this underwater processing center. And all that beauty mattered not at all once he was held captive by the Locust. Out of options, he had to find a way to contact Marcus, and finally reveal the truths he’d been keeping to himself for all these many years.
- Escalation – Haldane Hall has been the home of the Fenix family for countless generations. But the only history that matters to Marcus’s are his memories of warm summer evenings spent with his mother, Elain, relaxing in the estate’s gardens. Sadly, all the estate’s history and beauty was lost when the Locust destroyed it in an attempt to kidnap his father.
- The Slab – Convicted for insubordination and treason, Marcus was incarcerated in Jacinto Maximum Security Prison. Known as “The Slab”, this prison is not a correctional facility – it’s a place where Sera’s worst offenders are locked up and forgotten. The inmates are brutal, parole is not an option, and the average life expectancy is about two years. But that was before the Locust showed up, and what couldn’t get worse, suddenly did. Now your life expectancy there is around 2 minutes.
What do you think about all of the content being included in the upcoming Fenix Rising map pack? Will you be receiving it as part of the Season Pass, or will you be buying it outright? Be sure to let us know what you think by leaving us a comment below, or join our community for Gears of War 3 action!